Location: Greenwich & Bexley Community Hospice, 185 Bostall Hill,
London, SE2 0GB
Reports to: Patient Transport Co-ordinator/Rehab Team
Commitment: Morning or afternoon collection of patients within the Greenwich and Bexley Boroughs, on days agreed with the Rehab Team. Anticipated time commitment: one or two days per week, approximately 4 hours per day.
To provide safe and comfortable transport for patients to and from Greenwich & Bexley Community Hospice, as authorised by the transport arranger/Rehab Team.
Main roles and responsibilities
- To collect patients from home and transport them to the Rehab Gym for an hour-long exercise class and then to return them home. Classes likely to be held either late morning or early afternoon – this can be negotiated.
- To assist patients where applicable (see guidance notes) or ask for help
- To report to the Rehab Team as appropriate
- If a problem arises during a visit to the patient’s home, to phone the Rehab Team for guidance as to appropriate procedure
Useful skills and experience
- An ability to deal with patients with a terminal condition in an appropriate manner, friendly yet professional, relieving anxieties and stress as appropriate
- Good customer service skills
- The ability to be patient and remain calm in a crisis and deal with it appropriately
- Physically able-bodied for driving either own car or the hospice minibus (minibus training is provided)and giving occasional support to patients
- Able to use initiative whilst remaining part of a team effort
Benefits of the volunteer role
- Customer service experience
- Experience of a patient facing role in a hospice setting
- Participation in Hospice Induction which includes Health & Safety, Moving & Handling and Fire training
- Reasonable travel expenses to and from the Hospice will be reimbursed
- Voucher to obtain refreshments whilst waiting to return patients (?)
- An enhanced Disclosure and Barring application for Vulnerable Adults is required for this role