Location: Thamesmead – Nathan Way
Reports to: Workshop Manager
Commitment: A half day or full day per week
Are you creative with a keen interest in DIY – then we need YOU. We are looking for volunteers with a positive and friendly attitude, who want to become part of our team.
To support the Upcycling team in sorting furniture, electrical and other items for repair, upcycling and sale at our Nathan Way Centre, Thamesmead.
What We Do:-
Donations of unwanted furniture, electrical or other items, which would normally be discarded are reinvented and restored by our team at Nathan Way. The items are then sold in our on-site shop or distributed to one of our other 16 shops for sale. This generates income to support our Hospice and at the same time offers an opportunity to be part of a new and developing service.
Main roles and responsibilities
- Support the team in restoring saleable furniture and repairing electricals, ready for our on-site shop.
- Contribute towards cleaning, repairing and finishing items to “showroom” quality.
- Support our on-site shop on an ‘as and when’ basis.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Carry out basic DIY, upcycling and minor repairs to furniture.
- PAT testing of electricals (training can be arranged for the right candidate).
- Sort and arrange upcycled goods for display.
- Be required to frequently move goods of varying weights around the Centre on a day to day basis.
- Ensure that the Hospice policies and procedures are adhered to in the areas where you work, reporting any Health and Safety issues or risks to the Workshop Manager.
- Coordinate items for delivery, collection or disposal.
- Weighing items as necessary for reporting to the Workshop Manager.
- To be required to attend the Hospice mandatory training
Useful skills and experience
Good team player
Ability to use initiative
Be willing to complete PAT Test Training (Electrics) –if applicable
Reliable and Trustworthy
Good Communication Skills
An interest in creative projects
Benefits of the volunteer role
The opportunity to learn new skills
A safe and friendly environment
Meeting new people and engaging with the community
Participation in Hospice induction which includes Health & Safety, Moving and Handling and Fire Training held at the main Hospice in Abbey Wood
Assistance with travel and lunch expenses
Supporting your local Hospice