Who we are
We have a team of nurses and doctors, with specialist qualifications in palliative and hospice care, based at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Woolwich. The team is able to see people on the hospital wards.
What we do
The hospital team will:
- give advice on how to help control uncomfortable symptoms, such as pain or breathlessness, and aim to offer support to you and your family while you are in hospital
- provide continuity of approach in your care and treatment if you are already receiving palliative care at home or from another hospital or community team
- identify the support and care you may need to be able to get safely back home or to a nursing home or hospice if that is what you need
- support you in deciding what kind of care you want and where you would like to be cared for, then help organise this
- make sure you understand your care and treatment by having conversations with you and with the doctors and nurses caring for you on the ward
If you, or a relative, are a patient on a ward in Queen Elizabeth Hospital you can contact the Hospice hospital team on 020 8836 5442. The team works 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday but you can leave a message outside these hours.
Most of our referrals come from nurses and doctors on the wards, so you can ask the staff looking after you to make a referral to the Hospice hospital team.
If you’re already known to the Hospice Community Team and come into Queen Elizabeth Hospital, we try to come and see you on the ward to see if we can help.